Hello Photoion students and photography fans.
It’s time for another Photo of the Month competition. Each month we run a competition with a new theme and with the chance for you to win £100 in Photoion course vouchers.
This month’s topic: Leading Lines.
Using leading lines enables the viewer’s eye to take a little journey into the depth of our photographs. These lines help an image have a clear direction of movement, add interest, and create a depth that, at times, makes the viewer want to imagine himself in the scene. Lines are compelling and how we compose them makes all the difference in creating a spectacular photograph.
Here are a few tips to help you take the best images possible:
- Remember, leading lines in photography are not always straight lines: Sometimes they are spirals, archways, curves, or repetitive shapes.
- Change your vantage point: Getting closer to your leading line enhances its effectiveness. Experiment with having a line begin at the bottom of your photograph, begin at the corner, coming from an angle (creating triangles), or find a spiral subject where the leading line takes your eye in a circular journey to the middle of the photograph.
- Be purposeful in composing where the line is leading to: Having a subject, something interesting for the viewer’s eye to land on, adds value to your photograph.
- Evaluate the entire scene: Are there visible items or lighting variations in your photograph that distract from your subject? Recompose, if so. Use patience, when necessary, if those distractions are moving objects (cars, people, clouds, etc.).
- Play with your aperture setting: Try the same composition with a shallow depth of field and compare with having the entire scene in sharp focus. You might be surprised.
How to Enter
To enter the Photoion Photo of the Month competition and have a chance at winning £100 in Photoion course vouchers, send us your best picture using the form below.
Images should be in JPEG format, and no smaller than 1000 pixels on their widest side. Only one entry per person is accepted.
Entry opens on Thursday 1st March and closes Saturday 23:59 pm 31st March.
The winning entry will be selected by a panel of Photoion Photography School judges. The panel’s decision is final.
By entering you agree to our full terms and conditions. Please take a few minutes to read.
We’re looking forward to seeing your best images that demonstrate leading lines.