With the weather beginning to change and autumn settling in, now is as good a time as ever to get out there with friends and family and grab some portrait shots.
Capturing portraits is possibly one of the best ways to develop your photography. There are lots of techniques that can be utilised to grab better shots, but sometimes the simplest portraits can be the best.
The colours of autumn provide a wonderful opportunity to get creative with your camera. Falling leaves or branches of colour swaying in the wind are both excellent opportunities to challenge your creativity and to get a bit artistic with autumn.
Weather and light have a huge role to play in the kind of autumn portraits you create, but what special techniques would you use with your camera to photograph autumn in a unique and powerful way?So this week we’re asking you to get any portrait you can. Whether this is a group shot, a playful child in the back garden or a posed fashion style shot that would be more a home as a cover image!
But… don’t forget about the beautiful autumn!
Competition theme: Autumn Portraits
When making and submitting an image you will need to take into account all the elements below, as the evaluation will be based on the quality of your photograph in relation to them:
Lighting – Composition – Technical aspects
The competition is open to everyone who is subscribed to our mailing list (UK residents or abroad). If you are not on our mailing list, please subscribe via our website before you submit your entry. If you have attended one of our photography courses, or if you have already subscribed to our newsletter you don’t need to re-subscribe to the mailing list again.
How to enter
Each participant can submit 3 images, by email to [email protected] stating “Autumn Portraits” in the subject of the email. When submitting your entries, please include your full name, email address, telephone number and age in the body of the email. Your photographs must be submitted as an attachment and meet the following criteria:
1. The file name should be in the format: Firstname_Surname_Autumn_2012_1 (_2 and _3 if the case)
2. The image should be in JPEG format, no smaller than 2000 pixels on the widest side (at 72 DPI/PPI)
3. The file must contain all the exit data including the camera settings, the date when it was taken and all other technical details
Deadline and when a decision will be made
The deadline for receiving entries is 12:00 pm (UK time) on 30 November 2012. Entries received after the stated time and date will not be evaluated. Winners will be contacted by email or phone and results will be published on the Photoion Photography School™ website on or around 15 Dec 2012.
1st place: a place at one of our 2 day photography courses worth £285 (beginners, intermediate, specialist subject, etc); depending on your skills level, we will do an assessment before you enroll
2nd place: a place at one of our 1 day photography courses worth £145 (macro, portrait, etc); depending on your skills level, we will do an assessment before you enroll
3rd place: a place at one of our Photographing Southbank by night courses worth £95; depending on your skills level, we will do an assessment before you enroll
The first 10 short-listed images will be posted on our Photography Courses website
Terms and conditions
1. By submitting an image you confirm that:
a. your entry is entirely your own original work and not in breach of any copyright
b. your entry has not previously won a photography competition, has not been published in specialist literature or displayed in any public exhibition
c. while you retain copyright of your image, you agree that Photoion Photography make use of it in any way it sees fit
2. The decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
3. If a winning entrant is unable to be contacted after reasonable attempts have been made to do so, Photoion Photography™ reserves the right to either offer the prize to the next best entry, or to re-offer the prize in any future competition on Photoion Photography
4. Photoion Photography reserves the right to disqualify any entry which breaches any of the competition rules or to withhold a prize if entries do not reach the required standard
5. Photoion Photography will only ever use your personal details for the purposes of administering this competition, and will not publish them or provide them to anyone
6. No travel, accommodation or any other incidental expenses associated with winners’ attendance to the photography courses will be covered
See the official competition page on our website