What will we do?
If you would love to explore South-Eastern Europe and visit the historic Transylvania, the most beautiful part of Romania, all the while learning new photography skills and expanding your existing skills, then this once in a lifetime trip is perfect for you. On this trip, you’ll get to explore a variety of photography styles, including landscape photography in the Romanian hillsides and mountains, cityscape photography through the historic towns and cities, and starry sky photography on the shores of idyllic lakes. We will finish by reviewing the images we have taken and developing post production skills.
Here are some of the locations we will be visiting during our trip:
- Balea Lake – A glacial lake in the Fagaras Mountains. One of Romania’s most popular lakes, Balea Lake sits over 2,000 meters above sea level and is surrounded by stunning mountain vistas. Being surrounded by mountains means the surface of this lake is often like a mirror, making it an ideal photography location!
- Transfagarasan – This famous highway has been featured on BBC’s Top Gear as one of the best roads in the world. It is only fully open from June to October, and its highest point is 2040 meters above sea level.
- Rasnov Citadel – One of the largest medieval monuments in Transylvania. The citadel was built as part of a defence system for the Transylvanian villages exposed to outside invasions.
- Bran Castle – One of Romania’s key landmarks, Bran Castle, often called Dracula’s Castle, is steeped in myth and legend surrounding the aforementioned vampire. Though often incorrectly named as an influence for Bram Stoker’s novel, this castle is rich in folk history and an absolute must-visit.
- Sibiu – One of Romania’s most beautiful cities, no trip to Transylvania would be complete without visiting this gorgeous location. Filled with stunning architecture and colour, and set against the backdrop of the Făgăraș Mountains, Cibin Mountains, and Lotrului Mountains.
What you need to know
Your flights are not included in the cost of this package, so you will need to book your flights individually. We shall be departing to our hotel from Bucharest Otopeni airport at 2.30pm on 26th of September, so you must arrive in time to meet the group.
On return to the UK, our transfer will arrive at the airport at 1.00pm on October 1st so book a flight which gives enough time for check-in and security.
Our base of operations for this trip will be Paltinu Chalet, which is located 2050m above sea level in the middle of Faragas Mountains by the glacial lake Balea.
This location not only gives us convenient access to all our destinations for the trip, but it is a beautiful location filled with amazing photography opportunities in its own right.